Saturday, March 15, 2014

Sharing v. Justifying

Hi Friends, Family, and Supporters,

This isn't your typical update on how much we have brought in this week.  Although that is very important to us, I believe what I am going to share with you right now is just as important.

Being a missionary can be difficult.  Missionaries, whether US or World, have to become accustomed to new surroundings.  They may, at times, question God's call.  It can be a lonely place.  I don't think anybody ever wakes up in the morning and says "I want to be a missionary and I can't wait to experience all the uncertainty that comes with the calling."  Seriously.

The Lord has been using this time in my life to help me understand a few things:
1. I am not in control and that's okay, and
2.  I do not have to justify the calling that God has on my life.

I want to spend a few minutes discussing sharing my calling versus justifying my calling.  Most of you know that I work as a school counselor, I am finishing my dissertation, and I work with Chi Alpha.  On the support raising trail, people have asked Tom, myself, and others around us, why I cannot just work and support the ministry.  For years and months, I have struggled with having to justify that I am called to work with college students just as much as Tom is.  Thankfully, the Lord has provided work for me so that we can actually support raise and still have food on the table.  My work in the university as a doctoral student has opened opportunities to minister to faculty, peers, and students.  Over the last month, God has begun to show me that I don't need to justify my calling to people.  He has placed me where He has because He has a plan for all of this.  The favor that I have received in my field, in relationships, in presenting research, and writing has been overwhelming.  I want to share my calling not have to justify what I am doing.  God has reminded me that He is the one that justifies the calling that He has placed on my life.  I pray that the Holy Spirit prepares hearts to receive what we share about the vision and calling God has given us.  I believe that God has already prepared the way and I am not allowing myself to feel like I have to justify my calling anymore.

What is "justifying your calling" mean?  It means that you feel like you have to CONVINCE people that God has called you.  In the New Testament, did the disciples have to justify that they were called?  No.  Even Paul, who persecuted Christians, did not have to justify his calling.  He shared what God had done in his life and others came alongside him to support that calling.  "Sharing your calling" is the opportunity to share what God has been doing through your life and the vision that He has given you.  It's about answering clarifying questions but not about justifying what you are doing. God is the one that justifies our calling; I pray that people will see and feel that calling.

Can I tell you how freeing this has been for me?  The call of God has become so much more exciting to me rather than a thorn in my side, which is how I was feeling for some time.  It has allowed me to share more openly about what God is showing me without worrying about how it will be received on the other end.

Praying that God uses you this week in the mission field that He has called you to!

Blessings,
Charity

No comments:

Post a Comment